The European Commission on 16th December approved five schemes to support maritime transport in Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Poland and Sweden.
The EU Commission made five separate decisions, regarding;
- The introduction of a tonnage tax and seafarer scheme in Estonia,
- The prolongation of a tonnage tax and seafarer scheme in Cyprus,
- The introduction of a new seafarer scheme in Poland,
- The prolongation and extension of a seafarer scheme in Denmark, and
- The prolongation of a seafarer scheme in Sweden.
According to the Commission’s statement, these schemes will help encourage ship registration in Europe and contribute to the Global Competitiveness of the maritime Sector without unduly distorting competition.
The Commission said that the schemes are in line with EU State aid rules.